Reports to: Volunteer Consultant Program Manager
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: January 2014
Job Duration: 3 - 4 months with potential to extend, 15-25 hours per week
I. TECHNOSERVE BACKGROUND
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
Since 2001, TechnoServe has engaged more than 700 Volunteer Consultants on three- to 12-month projects throughout Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and India through its Volunteer Consultant Program. Please see HERE to learn more.
III. POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Volunteer Consultant Program is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual who is passionate about international economic development to support strategic research initiatives and the development of communications and marketing materials. The intern will also contribute to data analysis and reporting. The volunteer’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Performing research on the skills based volunteering sector
- Performing research and analysis of key stakeholder communities
- Supporting development of marketing and recruiting materials (branding experience specifically is preferred)
- Generating and managing program data and running reports to support analysis of applicant, volunteer and alumni pools
- Maintaining and updating records and documents
- Additional research tasks as time allows
- Assisting Coordinator and Program Manager with additional administrative tasks as necessary
The position is office-based in Washington. Some remote work can be negotiated, but must be in DC office at least 10-15 hours per week.
IV. REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree preferred, or at least partially completed
- Strong writing and editing skills required
- Experience with database systems preferred
- Enthusiastic self-starter; proven ability to work independently
- Extremely organized with great follow up skills
V. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered. No phone calls please.