Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Country Director
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Travel: International up to 5% Domestic up to 25%
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
Employment is a priority of the 2012-2015 National Development Plan (NDP) for Côte d'Ivoire. The government aims to create one million jobs by 2015 to raise the current unemployment rate of 17-24% among 15 to 34 year olds.
III. Position Description:
TechnoServe is searching for a Team Leader to oversee a team of five component leads responsible for starting, managing and expanding each of five different program components aimed at accelerating growth and job creation in Côte d'Ivoire. They will manage training in business management and technical assistance for successful implementation of projects.
Team Leader will oversee program operations, including design, implementation and relationships with partners. The Team Lead will ensure the quality of execution with a particular focus on achieving impact. In addition, the Team Lead will oversee the monitoring and evaluation of their respective components. The Team Lead will also ensure that the following activities are undertaken either directly or through direct reports:
- Analyze business and technical needs of customers (small producers, cooperatives, SMEs)
- Contribute to the design, implementation and monitoring of training programs for producers, in collaboration with senior management and TechnoServe advisors
- Provide analytical support and technical assistance to improve production processes and customer relationship management
- Develop business plan designs for clients
- Ensure achievement of mobilization targets, and quality and reach of training interventions
- Ensure the full integration of women and youth into the project to maximize their participation and benefit from project activities and outcomes
- Collect and analyze quarterly key indicators of impact and performance data
- Participate and contribute to stakeholder forums
- Ensure that public-private partnerships are effectively implemented
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- University degree in agronomy, business administration, economics, marketing, or a related discipline
- 5-10 years of experience in at least one of the following areas: a) marketing, finance or operations management of a large trading company (coffee, cocoa, cashew, etc), b) providing technical support to SME’s, and/or c) execution of job creation programs
- Excellent skills in customer management
- Ability to understand, analyze and develop business plans and financial statements
- Strong commercial orientation and good writing skills
- Proven team leadership and good planning skills
- Ability to organize and manage complex tasks and ability to take initiative
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in French and English required
- Experience managing large donor-funded projects preferred
- Computer skills required (MS Office/Windows)
V. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The incumbent must sit for an extended number of hours throughout the day using a computer, talking by telephone or Skype and meeting with others.
- This person must occasionally lift items which weigh up to 20 lbs. and must be capable of lifting and pulling their luggage when traveling.
- Other requirements include climbing stairs, walking and bending
VI. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.