Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Project Leader, GFF
Location: Tete, Nacala or Maputo, Mozambique
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe is recruiting for several positions for an anticipated Grant Facility Fund in Mozambique. The objective of the GFF in Mozambique is to improve the ability of smallholder farms and micro-,small- and medium-enterprises (MSMEs) in the Zambezi Valley and Nacala Corridor to access markets through market-oriented private and complementary public investments. The GFF investments are intended to have a transformative effect through access to new technology and markets increasing business returns. The GFF will focus on supporting linkages between medium/large firms and smallholder farms/MSMEs through targeted investments in public goods and services that will be executed by the private sector.
We anticipate the GFF will be a demand-driven competitive grant fund, with the competitive selection process based on demonstrated evidence of benefits to smallholder farms and MSMEs through business linkages.
The GFF will focus on two areas:
- Linking smallholder farms to agribusiness value chains
- Linking MSMEs to the natural resources-related value chains
Key responsibilities of the GFF will likely include:
- Effective promotion, marketing and outreach to both the private sector and public institutions and establishment of a pipeline of potential applicants;
- Technical, economic and financial appraisal of proposals;
- Identification and resolution of potential conflict of interest issues and fiduciary risks in the contractual agreements with the private investors;
- Control and verification of the use of funds;
- Data collection with M&E and drawing lessons for future investments;
- Oversight and fiduciary management responsibilities based on an agreed Procedures Manual.
III. Position Description:
TechnoServe is looking to recruit key staff positions with a range of experience covering the agriculture and extractives sectors, fund design and management and relevant experience in Mozambique.
We are seeking 2-4 Project Managers who will be responsible for originating projects, assisting in the application process, appraising projects, and contract management in implementation. Several of these PMs will be expected to have a permanent presence in the Zambezi Valley and Nacala Corridor (e.g. in Tete and Nacala).
- Assisting the Fund Manager with organizing the grant program outreach;
- Assisting the Fund Manager with the application cycle, including the timely processing of applications;
- Participating in the selection and vetting process, including reviewing application requirements and ensuring that the appropriate due diligence has been conducted and recorded;
- Coordinating the pre-award evaluation process, including organizing and attending site visits;
- Coordinating the award and disbursement process, including ensuring compliance with the technical requirements of the Grants Manual;
- Ensuring that each grant is properly documented in the fund’s database in a timely fashion;
- Performing monitoring and follow up functions; and
- Providing effective and ongoing reporting to the Fund Manager.
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Preferably a Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, law or a related field, plus at least two years of experience in a commercial or international project setting.
- Knowledge of donor contracts and grant regulations would be beneficial.
- S/he should have strong attention to detail and, with minimal supervision, be able to prioritize and manage a high volume work flow.
- Be a self-starter.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and relevant computer software skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel and Word).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience with database management systems desirable.
- Fluency in Portuguese and proficiency in English are required.
- The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to personal integrity.
- Prefer candidates of Mozambican nationality.
V. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.