Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Deputy Country Director
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Travel: Limited domestic travel
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe is seeking two experienced Program Managers for two anticipated IDB/Haitian Government-funded projects in Haiti which, if awarded to TechnoServe, would be expected to begin as early as July 2013. The programs’ objectives are to strengthen Micro-, Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises (MSMEs) by providing business consulting and training services to eligible MSMEs with the objective of: a) improving access to credit and b) building capacity in within their management, technical and commercial divisions to maximize the efficiency of their investments and ultimately their ability to service their debt. TechnoServe will provide capacity building services to specialized divisions within the Haitian Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MCI) entrusted with running these programs.
III. Position Description:
- Provide the vision and technical leadership to the team executing the program
Provide technical support to the MCI in all areas necessary for the execution of its duties in the provision of business development services, particularly with regard to:
- effective (technical) coordination with other programs financed by the IDB, where/whenever appropriate and/or relevant, in its private sector development strategy and
- the possibility of creating strategic alliances with other donors and actors with regards to projects to develop the private sector in general and the MSMEs in particular.
- Propose annual and semi-annual action plans to the MCI with specific tasks related to TechnoServe’s scope of work, including the corresponding budgets,
- Support the MCI in the compilation of information and data to be included in the semi-annual program reports,
- Design and monitor the implementation of an information system devised for the submission of all the required information in a reliable and timely manner
- Maintain an updated register of all technical projects and initiatives developed in each of the program components
- Propose to the MCI, for the approval of the Management Committee (MC), the methodology to evaluate initial economic and financial viability
- Propose to the MCI, for approval by the MC, the criteria and priorities for granting BATS requests to eligible firms
- Propose to the MCI, for approval by the MC, all BATS requests as soon as they have been reviewed and approved on technical level
- Make proposals to the MCI for the preparation of terms of reference as well as the terms and conditions for the engagement of individual consulting firms
- Evaluate the services provided by consultants to the program and maintain a register of these evaluations in the appropriate systems
- Continuously evaluate the performance of staff members under his/her supervision.
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Advanced degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration or other relevant field,
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience with at least 5 years of private sector development experience involving both public and private sector entities,
- Demonstrated experience in private sector project development with specific consulting experience to micro, small and medium-sized enterprises involving public and private-sector groups and, in particular, formal and informal financial systems. Specifically he/she should have experience in the definition, design and implementation of technical assistance and support programs to MSMEs focusing on organizational development and general management.
- Previous successful experience mentoring and building capacity of staff, results driven
- Experience living and working in the Caribbean and/or Central America – specific Haiti experience desired
- Oral and written fluency in English and French
V. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.