Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Rwanda Country Director
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Position Description:
Provide overall leadership and management of a Girls Economic Empowerment Pilot Program in Rwanda. The Program Manager will work closely with TechnoServe’s country management, and will be responsible for timely and effective implementation of project activities and achievement of the project’s goal.
Hiring for this position is contingent upon winning the bid for the project
Key project outputs will include: (1) facilitating access to formal & informal financial services for girls (2) building community awareness and support of girl’s economic empowerment (3) establishing safe spaces for girls to meet (4) building girl’s life skills (5) improving girl’s capacity in entrepreneurship, financial literacy & management, (6) linking girls to entrepreneurship and employment activities, and (7) implementing a robust M&E and learning system. S/he will thus be responsible for project planning and oversight, managing key stakeholder relationships, quality implementation, and delivery of results and milestones as agreed with the donor and TechnoServe regional/country management team.
- Lead the launch of project activities and ensure excellence in execution;
- Maintain project work plan and ensure timely project implementation;
- Ensure project activities are implemented with sound managerial, technical, financial, human resource, and overall programmatic practices;
- Proactively identifying strategies and tactics to achieve the project’s goals and milestones and to address bottlenecks to effective execution of the project objectives; share and address both with the larger project team;
- Hold regular team meetings to track implementation progress and share relevant program and administrative data;
- Develop and manage a competent TechnoServe project implementation team and coordinating/managing partner inputs;
- Provide coaching, direction, and leadership support to country team members to achieve results;
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with local partners in Rwanda; including the donor, government ministries, private sector companies, business associations, and civil society organizations;
- Represent the program and TNS at internal and external functions;
- Manage a project budget to ensure spending rates are on target;
Monitoring & Evaluation Oversight:
- Responsible for all deliverables under the program, including specific outputs and outcomes laid out the program logframe;
- Manage innovative monitoring and evaluation component, produce reports for internal and external consumption, and disseminate key learnings.
III. Required Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in relevant fields;
- Minimum of five years field and technical experience with economic development programs for girls, youth, or women;
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills;
- Personnel management experience required;
- Ability to structure complex tasks and translate targets into work plans;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills a must;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; a self-starter, strong interpersonal/people management and organizational skills
- Ability to develop well-written, cohesive analyses and reports;
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships;
- Ability to identify and understand issues and opportunities, compare data from different sources to draw conclusions, use effective approaches for developing appropriate solutions, take action that is consistent with available facts and probable consequences;
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations;
- Willingness to be based in Kigali, ability to travel internationally, and ability to travel to remote rural locations;
- Experience in East Africa; Rwanda specific experience preferred;
- Proven ability and experience working with teams an added advantage;
- Experience with private sector development projects an added advantage;
- Experience with DFID-funded program an added advantage;
- Fluency in English is a must; Kinyarwanda an added advantage.
IV. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.