Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Senior Program Manager, Western & Southern Africa
Location: TBD, preference for Southern Africa
Travel: International up to 30%
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
The West & Southern Africa (WSA) Division is home to some of TechnoServe’s most established successes and bravest innovations. With full country programs in eight countries and additional regional activities in four more, the WSA Division is distinctive for its balance of current country execution and new country growth. Home to TechnoServe’s oldest program (Ghana), as well as its largest (Mozambique), the Division has a forty-four year history of developing, executing and up-scaling innovative programs across a variety of value chains, including cashew, cocoa, cotton, feed grains, horticulture, poultry and livestock, and tourism.
III. Position Description:
The West & Southern Africa Division is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual to support the development, mobilization and management of new and emerging country offices across the WSA region. Primary responsibilities will include new business development, financial management and oversight, reporting and audit support and human resource management.
In 2013, this position will focus primarily on Zambia, Malawi and Botswana.
III. Position Description:
Administrative and Financial Management (40%)
- Support the mobilization of new and emerging countries by ensuring financial oversight and adherence to TechnoServe procedures in financial management
- Perform administrative tasks as needed to ensure TechnoServe offices in new and emerging countries adhere to local legal and statutory requirements
- Oversee all procurements and logistics arrangements such as travel and fleet management
- Backstop the country financial staff and work to build their capacity in financial management, reporting and planning
- Support the Senior Program Manager and field teams to develop and manage against program budgets, including burn rate analysis, as well as design and execution of course correction as needed
Financial Reporting and Audit support (20%)
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors
- Manage the financial reporting process in countries where there is no local finance staff
- Ensure budget monitoring and proper implementation of donor rules in non-presence and emerging countries
- Provide hands-on assistance and guidance to field teams during annual audits and donor audits, as required
New Business Development (20%)
- Act as budget lead on proposals for new and emerging countries upon request, including developing full cost proposals and narratives in collaboration with WSA New Business Managers, the WSA Senior Program Manager and the home office Finance Department
- Support the development of market analyses and donor scans, as required, for new and emerging countries
Human Resources Management (20%)
- Manage on-boarding and orientation of new staff in new and emerging countries
- Oversee the HR function in new and emerging countries, developing HR policies and procedures as needed and ensuring adherence to TechnoServe global HR policies
- Work with field teams to develop contacts and databases to ensure effective recruiting
- Manage staff and consultants’ contracts as needed in new and emerging countries
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Masters degree in finance, economics, business or other relevant subject required
- At least 3 years of work experience in international development in Africa
- Detail orientation, including strong organizational, analytical and quantitative skills
- Ability to anticipate demand, manage multiple tasks/ projects and meet tight deadlines
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Excellent PC computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet
- Strong finance modeling skills
- Ability to speak and read/write French or Portuguese at FS 2/2 level
- Willingness to travel internationally at least 30% of the time
VI. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.