Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Program Manager
Location: Washington, DC
Duration: 3 months with potential to extend, minimum 20 hours per week
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
The West & Southern Africa (WSA) Division is home to some of TechnoServe’s most established successes and some of our boldest innovations, with full country programs in seven countries and additional regional activities in three more. Home to TechnoServe’s oldest program (Ghana), as well as its largest (Mozambique), WSA has more than four decades’ experience developing, executing and up-scaling innovative programs across a variety of value chains, including cashew, cocoa, cotton, feed grains, horticulture, poultry and livestock and tourism.
III. Position Description:
The West and Southern Africa (WSA) Division is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual who is passionate about international economic development to support a broad range of functions across the region.
The WSA Program Volunteer responsibilities may involve writing, editing, research, newsletter design, event planning and other duties as assigned. Specific tasks or projects might include:
- developing an online library of program documentation
- drafting content about country programs
- designing a newsletter format
- developing program management toolkits
- analyzing program costs
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Enthusiastic, creative self-starter and quick learner; ability to work independently
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple tasks
- Excellent communication, editing and writing skills
- Polished skills in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Proven analytic skills
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Completion or enrollment in degree program in international development, business or related field (undergraduate junior or above)
- Candidates must own a laptop
- This is an un-paid volunteer opportunity
V. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
No phone calls please.