Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Country Director, Haiti
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Contract: 1 Year (renewable)
Travel: Approximately 30% local travel
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe’s Haiti Peanut Program is currently funded primarily by the Abbott Fund and aims to help over 20,000 smallholder peanut farmers improve their incomes by increasing peanut yields while decreasing overall production and distribution costs. The peanut pilot project was launched in 2013 and the first year of project funding has already been secured.
III. Position Description:
The Peanut Program Manager will serve on the management team of the Haiti Program Office and will manage the operational activities of the Peanut Program including: field administration, training, credit access, partner relationships and program monitoring and reporting. S/he will be work closely with the Country Director in securing further program funding, will drive key new business processes, carry out strategic analysis and develop industry strategic plan for the Peanut Program.
- Support program managers to develop detailed work plan and program budget and ensure they receive regular supervision, reviews and feedback,
- Monitor program expenses against budget and participate in monthly budget reviews meetings,
- Ensure field admin functions are efficiently supporting program staff,
- Review and advise on administrative polices and directives,
- Guide and assist on the preparation of annual operation plan of resources to improve and maximize resource utilization.
- Support beneficiaries to access credit facilities, namely short-term working capital and longer term investment capital,
- Work with banks, international guarantors and other partners to ensure clients have access to sustainable credit facilities (post-TechnoServe support),
- Provide mentoring and training to partner organizations and local bank officers.
- Manage the Peanut Program’s training - provide supervision and coaching to the training coordinator,
- Support training coordinator to develop detailed annual work plans.
STRATEGY & LEADERSHIP
- Provide the vision and technical leadership to the team executing the program,
- Work closely with the Country Director to develop, present and implement the overall goals and objectives of the program,
- Mentor, coach and work with program staff to develop technical and managerial skills so as to assume greater responsibility,
- Regularly review and update the strategic footprint for the Haitian peanut sector,
- Identify and pursue opportunities for TechnoServe to build new partnerships and expand its work in Haiti,
- Identify key risks to the project and propose solutions to mitigating such risks
- Continuously evaluate the performance of staff members under his/her supervision.
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Degree in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management or related studies. (Master’s degree a plus),
- Minimum of five years field and technical experience with agribusiness development, farmer organizations or entrepreneurship is required,
- Demonstrated experience in managing large projects and teams of people,
- Inspirational leader of professional staff,
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships,
- Solid management experience, including key skill areas such as business development, consulting, training, financial analysis and coaching,
- Previous successful experience mentoring and building capacity of staff, results driven,
- Developing country experience with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills,
- Strong project management, analytical and financial modeling skills,
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations,
- Oral and written fluency in English and French (Haitian Creole is a strong plus).
V. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.