Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Regional Director for West and Southern Africa (WSA)
Location: Based in West Africa (Abidjan, Accra or Abuja) with travel up to 50% of the time
Travel: Willingness to travel regionally and internationally up to 50% of the time
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
To lead and support the development of new business and design of new programs that will result in increased revenue and increased impact in TechnoServe’s West Africa division.
III. Position Description:
In support of Country Directors and Division Directors, the position is responsible for identifying funding opportunities; developing, leading and strengthening fundraising strategies and tactics; and responding to major contract/grant opportunities, from bi-lateral, multi-lateral agencies, national governments, private foundations and the private sector. This will include implementing processes with public and private sector marketing initiatives, writing, organizing, and producing competitive proposals that would increase the organizations new program development in West Africa.
Specifically, the New Business Manager will:
1. Increase Revenues to Support Impactful Economic Development Strategies
This position will lead and / or support as needed fundraising efforts, including fundraising strategies, program design, and coordination and writing of proposals.
- Develop winning proposals in collaboration with local teams and TNS regional and/or development divisions; including management of the proposal process, writing of the proposal and (supporting) the development of budgets and recruiting of candidates.
- In coordination with the relevant staff of the Development Division, the Regional Director of the WSA Division and the Country Directors, liaise with public sector funding agencies, institutional foundations, corporations and other private donors to acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge about their mission, organization, policies, procedures and key decision-makers;
- Coordinate the review and maintenance of project lead summaries, the new business pipeline, the new business resource prioritization matrix, new business opportunity assessments and other requirements of the new business process
- Provide leadership to the regional team and Country Directors in the design and implementation of comprehensive fundraising strategies and annual plans with specific targets;
- Lead and/or support opportunity assessments in selected new priority countries;
2. Build Internal Capacity in New Business Development
In addition to leading and / or supporting new business development, the New Business Manager will work with the Regional Director and country teams to strengthen their capacity to fundraise.
- Develop the capacity of local staff and teams to independently design high impact value chain interventions; to develop viable concepts for target donors and to develop and write strong proposals.
- Continuously assess and update processes, structures and systems for fundraising as they relate to individual countries and contribute to the Corporate learning in these areas;
- Monitor external best practice in proposal development; monitor and evaluate the success of internal proposals, and disseminate best practices;
3. Ensure High-Quality Start-up of Confirmed New Programs
In the case of programs which have been confirmed but where there is no local capacity to ensure successful transition from the proposal phase to project implementation, the Business Development Manager will work with the Regional Director and country teams to ensure high-quality program start-up, potentially engaging as a Mobilization Manager in the program start-up phase.
4. Perform other tasks as detailed as required by the Regional Director of the West and Southern Africa Division
- External and internal communications with all parties relevant to TechnoServe, this includes staff, volunteers, public/private sector donors; consultants, partner development organizations, the regional management committee and headquarters.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR MANAGING RESOURCES
- Direct reports on assignments may include TechnoServe staff, short-term consultants, and volunteer consultants.
- Responsible for managing funds invested in the development of new proposals as well as short-term ongoing fundraising consultants.
- Additional line management, budgetary authority and operational responsibilities may be assigned.
Contributes to achievement of annual revenue targets for the WSA country programs and the growth of TechnoServe’s footprint in the WSA region; responsible, along with the WSA team, for improving the quality and impact of TechnoServe’s fundraising efforts. Deliverables will include:
- Opportunity assessments (including donor scans, industry scans, proposal due diligence, mini-ISPs)
- Strengthened relationships with public and private donors
- Winning proposals (including documentation that covers the proposal, concept note, lead summary, logframes, teaming agreements and budgets)
- Capacitated local staff to win new business
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Proven track record in successful business or program development design, experience in the management consulting industry complemented by broad technical skills in one or more of the following areas: SME, agribusiness, and/ or industry development;
- Extensive experience in designing, developing, researching and authoring quality and winning proposals preferred;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills in a multi-cultural environment;
- The ability to work on short-term assignments with tight deadlines while managing multiple tasks and projects;
- The ability to work independently, and function effectively as a member of a global team, and adhere to strict deadlines;
- Interactive skills especially with field staff, technical staff, consultants and home office support staff as necessary to complete proposals;
- Related work experience and knowledge of the West Africa economic, social and development context preferred;
- B.S. or B.A. degree in business administration, economics, marketing or related discipline, MBA preferred At least 5 years of post-graduate experience in analytical and strategic roles within the private sector and/or development spheres (ideally with a top-tier management consulting firm)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in French required
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally up to 50% of the time
V. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please