Reporting to: Project Manager
Location: Port au Prince
Travel: Domestic and international travel required
Duration: 1-3 years
Start date: As soon as possible
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe has been working in Haiti since 2009 and is registered as a foreign NGO working in Haiti. We are currently running three projects where we work with smallholder farmers, farmer groups and small businesses. TechnoServe has a staff of approximately 60 people in Haiti. Our head office is situated in Port au Prince, and we have three field offices in l’Artibonite and Plateau Central.
The mango program started in September2010 and is funded through August2015. The program is funded by the Coca-Cola Company, Inter-American Development Bank, USAID, Soros Economic Development Fund, and Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund, as well as private donors. The objective of the program is to double the income of 25,000 Haitian mango farmers. The program is targeting mango-producing areas of the Centre and Artibonite departments of Haiti.
Processing and the Haiti Hope Project
An important component of the mango program is to facilitate investment in processing mangoes into mango pulp, a core ingredient for the juice industry. This would create an additional market for sub-export quality mangoes and non-export varieties. The Coca-Cola Company, as a partner of the project, is providing technical support.
III. Position Description:
Technoserve is seeking a long-term consultant to bring this facility to fruition. This is an enormous opportunity to help the people of Haiti by facilitating investment in business, creating a sustainable market for Haitian products that currently suffer from weak local demand. The position will bring together and motivate talent and resources, while leaving direct management to the interested parties.
To complete business plan and financials, identify and mobilize investors and operator, and provide on-going support to all parties. The goal is a fully operational mango pulp facility, selling for export and local markets.
Tasks and Activities
Complete Business Plan
- Bring in additional market data, conduct any research necessary, to ensure plan is sufficiently well-elaborated for investors.
Identify an interested entrepreneur and potential investors
- Identify an operator with the interest, skill-set, and character necessary for the successful realization of the project in collaboration with project management.
- Act as facilitator for discussions and negotiationsin collaboration with project management.
- Identify and approach potential investors in collaboration with project management.
Identify potential customers
- Research pulp market and identify buyers well matched to Haiti’s competitive advantages
- Research and inform project management on current market conditions, prevalent sale terms, etc.
- Facilitate contact with potential buyers
Provide advice to entrepreneur to implement business plan:
- Identifying site location
- Facility construction
- Production line acquisition and installation
- Written management plans – HACCP, etc.
- Recruitment and training of staff
- Logistics and procurement procedures
Other activities as needed.
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- At least 10 years experience in agribusiness, processing experience a plus , private sector experience a must
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience writing business plans and working with potential investors
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and responsively, with a strong commitment to excellence
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Able to adapt to changing working conditions
- Able to work in French and English
- Willingness to travel locally and outside of Haiti
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word formatted resume and cover letter with salary history to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. No phone calls please.