Location: Washington, DC
Duration: 20-25 hour/week; 3 months with the option to extend
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Position Description:
TechnoServe seeks an HR intern with excellent analytical and organizational skills along with great attention to detail to assist its Human Resources Department. The position is suitable for someone currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate human resources program or a new graduate looking for a career in the human resources field.
This position offers the following:
- First-hand experience with human resources functions and processes
- Opportunity to gain hands-on experience with HRMS
- Work experience at a leading international non-profit
- Opportunity to build resume with practical human resources work experience
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with HR team to review and edit correspondence and draft letters
- Work with the recruiting team to post jobs, screen resumes and schedule candidates and meetings
- Assist with getting employees data from the global field offices and assist with the enhancement of TechnoServe’s HR systems and processes
- Assist with data entry and tracking HR data and processes
- Create documents, including those generated in Excel spreadsheets
- Assist Recruiting team as required particularly with tracking and generating hiring metrics
- Research specific HR-related issues such as country-specific labor codes, immigration/visa issues, etc.
- Special research projects as assigned
III. Required Skills & Experience:
- Pursuing a degree or college courses leading to a degree in human resources
- Proficient in MS Office suite with advanced Excel experience
- Previous experience working with HRIS system or interest in learning/working with HRIS preferred
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred
- Excellent written & oral communication skills
- Basic knowledge of US HR employment laws & practices
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiastic self-starter
- Ability to maintain 100% confidentiality
- Volunteers must have access to their own laptops
- Please note this is an un-paid volunteer opportunity
IV. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. No phone calls please.