Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Senior Director, Program Development
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: International and domestic up to 25%
I. TechnoServe Background
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description
The Program Development (PD) team sits within TechnoServe’s Development Division. We are a lean team based in DC that provides support to TechnoServe’s country offices in the identification, design and development of new business initiatives that support our mission and help achieve our strategic goal. We work closely with new business managers in each geographic region and country field offices.
III. Position Description
The goal of the position is to lead and support the development of new business and design of new programs that will result in increased impact and revenue. The position is responsible for responding to major priority new business opportunities from bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies, private foundations or private sector corporations. The anticipated focus is on opportunities with the UK Department for International Development (DfID), the Dutch government, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This will include leading proposal teams and processes to design projects and develop winning proposals, as well as writing competitive proposals. The PD Director will be key in designing projects and will regularly lead the development of Logical Frameworks. In addition this position, in close collaboration with the Senior Director of Program Development, will contribute to understanding TechnoServe’s performance in program development and lead specific initiatives to develop or refine systems and processes or build capacity in response to specific needs of the organization.
Specifically, the Program Development Director will:
1. Lead competitive bids for priority, large, complex bids as the Proposal Manager
In the role of Proposal Manager (PM), individual is responsible for ensuring that TechnoServe submits a compliant, responsive, quality proposal. S/he provides overall project management of the proposal development process and plays an important role in project design and the development of the logical framework. The PM will revise the final lead summary (bid decision making document); develop and manage the proposal calendar; schedule, convene and facilitate kick off and review meetings; develop the proposal outline with compliance guidelines; lead or support partner negotiations including teaming agreements; develop partner packets; manage partner inputs; coordinate questions for donor; identify and contract technical consultants as needed; convene and chair partner design meetings as needed; participate as a key member of the project design team, including providing leadership on logframe development; ensure full and final submission of complete proposal and addenda; and convene and facilitate post-submission debriefs. The Program Development Director will be the first choice of Proposal Manager for large, complex bids that are of greatest strategic importance to the organization.
Estimated level of effort: 35%.
2. Function as Proposal Writer for priority bids
The Proposal Writer is responsible for writing, and coordinating specialized written inputs into the technical narrative and the supporting annexes for the narrative volume (executive summary, technical approach, management plan, organizational capacity, monitoring and evaluation plan, implementation plan, etc.). The Proposal Writer is a key member of the project design team and will play an important role in logframe development.
Estimated level of effort: 35%.
3. Function as Bid Advisor for select bids
The Bid Advisor will provide support and mentoring, usually to Country Directors or other field- based staff, for capture planning, intelligence gathering, and/or all other aspects of proposal development, as required by the competencies of the proposal team. The Bid Advisor will also provide support or lead teaming negotiations with US-based partners, as needed, and act as a proposal reviewer during proposal development.
Estimated level of effort: 15%.
4. Support TechnoServe’s improved performance in Program Development
The PD Director will contribute to improving TechnoServe’s PD performance through improved knowledge and capacity building. This includes improving understanding of TechnoServe’s performance by capturing and presenting information gleaned during specific proposal work as well as the analysis and understanding of broader trends. The PD Director will be responsible for sharing this information broadly between country offices and headquarters and across regions and country platforms. The PD Director will lead specific initiatives to develop or refine systems and processes, mentor program development colleagues and/or build capacity in response to specific needs of the organization.
Estimated level of effort: 15%.
5. Perform other tasks as required by the Senior Director, Program Development
IV. Required Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least ten years of experience in analytical and strategic roles within the private sector and/or international development sphere.
- At least three years of experience in project design and implementation in the international development arena. Experience in agricultural development/agribusiness/economic growth/enterprise development preferred.
- Knowledge of the international development donor landscape and proven track record of developing winning funding proposals.
- Ability to use and aptitude for the Results Based Management/Logical Framework approach is required.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to perform under time pressure, be flexible, work independently, manage multiple tasks and work effectively as a leader and team member in fast-paced multi-cultural environment .
- Must be detail oriented, with strong project management skills.
- Passionate about market-led approaches to helping the poor improve their livelihoods.
- Willingness and capacity to hold collaborators accountable for deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to manage senior-level executive colleagues.
- Strong focus on results.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with an enthusiasm for writing.
- Good sense of humor.
- Fluency in French, Portuguese or Spanish strongly preferred; additional language skills are desirable.
V. Physical Requirements
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time internationally and domestically.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word formatted resume and cover letter with salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications and authorized to work in the US will be considered. No phone calls please.