Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Director of Major Gifts and Foundations
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Minimal travel expected
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
The Private Fundraising team sits within TechnoServe’s Development Division. The team is based in DC and is responsible for raising restricted and unrestricted funds from private sources to support TechnoServe's efforts around the globe. The team works closely with senior management and field programs to identify private fundraising opportunities across the organization and link them with the appropriate donors and prospects.
III. Position Description:
The Development Manager for Prospect Management and Research is an integral part of the private fundraising team. This position is responsible for all aspects of TechnoServe’s prospect identification, research and moves management system. The Development Manager works with the appropriate staff members to ensure that donor prospects are effectively identified and researched, and that specific cultivation and solicitation strategies are monitored and updated. The Development Manager has a lead role in ensuring that TechnoServe has a dynamic and growing prospect pool.
Prospect Identification and Research– 45%
- Based on organizational priorities, identify new individual, foundation, corporate and other organization prospects
- Regularly and consistently review existing donor files to identify prospects for upgrade from direct marketing programs to more personalized, high value approaches
- Using the broadest possible range of on-line and off-line resources, including conversations with board members, other volunteers and staff, conduct research on new prospects to determine propensity and capacity
- Use those same resources to regularly and consistently update research on existing donors and prospects
- Develop prospect research analysis, reports and systems to assist appropriate staff in rating, screening, and developing strategies for prospective donors
- Continually develop identification and research strategies and resources, including using wealth profiling and other database screening tools.
Prospect Management – 40%
- Develop a prospect moves management system and work with the Database Coordinator to ensure that it is maintained and regularly reviewed and updated
- Work with appropriate staff to review prospect research profiles
- Lead, and participate in, the prospect rating and screening process
- Manage and support the moves management process – ensuring that highest priority prospects have specific identified moves plans and that the plans are regularly reviewed and updated by appropriate staff
- Support staff and board as they implement planned moves – develop and provide, in a timely manner, background materials, strategy plans, and meeting/contact reports.
- Follow-up with staff and board after moves are completed to ensure that outcomes and follow-up are properly documented, planned and executed.
Other – 15%
- Through phone calls, letters, and e-mails, connect with donors and prospects to help TechnoServe cultivate relationships
- Develop and implement a benchmarking and reporting system to enable TechnoServe leadership to effectively monitor and assess the prospect pipeline
- Other duties as assigned
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, communications or other relevant field
- At least five years of experience working in prospect research and management
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to manage a challenging workload and to stay proactively engaged during busy or high-stress times
- Proven ability to engage with colleagues and to form strong working relationships in a team environment
V. Physical Requirements
The incumbent is expected to sit and work at a computer for long hours.
Must be capable of talking on the phone or Skype frequently throughout the day.
Must occasionally lift a box of paper or other items weighing approximately 20lbs. or be capable of lifting their luggage if travelling. Other requirements include climbing stairs, walking, bending over, pulling luggage and occasionally driving.
VI. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications and authorized to work in the US will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.