Reporting: Senior Program Development Associate
Location: Washington, DC
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Division Description
The Program Development team sits within TechnoServe’s Development Division. We are a lean team based in DC that provides support to TechnoServe’s country offices in the identification, design, and development of new business initiatives that support our mission and help achieve our strategic goal. We work closely with new business managers in each geographic region and country field offices.
III. Primary Purpose and Function
- Provide programmatic, administrative, and human resources (HR) support on proposal development to Development Division, and regional and country offices.
- Assist in development and updating of key proposal inputs, including customized past performance references (PPRs), corporate capability statements, CVs, and other programmatic information.
- Provide editing, proofreading, basic graphics, formatting, and other administrative support to proposals and new business efforts.
- Support Development Division on organizational sharing of tools/templates and processes to improve program development.
IV. Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend donor and practitioner meetings on foreign aid trends and functional topics related to TechnoServe’s strategic plan, and share learnings.
- Support contact management with prioritized donors and partners, both current and potential.
- Conduct desk and field research and backstopping as required to support program development.
- Provide administrative and program support to Development Division team, Regional Directors, Country Directors, New Business Development Managers, and Technical Consultants to develop and deliver new program opportunities.
- Support consultant and potential staff recruitment for proposals.
- Update boiler-plate language for common proposal documents and standard content items for broad distribution and use.
Support proposal development for concept notes or proposals to bilateral and multilateral agencies, programmatic foundations, and other donors, including:
- Provide administrative and proposal support to field and Development Division teams in proposal development.
- Revise or develop customized versions of PPRs, corporate capability statements, CVs, and other sections as needed.
- Develop or support development of statutory documents and cost and other proposal inputs.
- Provide final editing, proofreading, formatting, and assembly of proposal documents for submission, to include both technical and cost volumes.
- Other services as required prior to submission or for proposal revisions as requested by donor.
- From time to time, as capability develops, participate in project design on specific assignments.
- Support development of corporate capability statements relating to thematic or technical areas, for use in proposals or donor discussions.
- As requested, support proposal team through the proposal development process to successful completion.
Working with Operational Divisions
- Participate in monthly calls with regional operating divisions.
- As needed and as capability develops, backstop management of new business pipeline database and tracking system, and provide support to field in use/tracking.
- Support Program Development efforts to document wins/losses, proposal debriefs, and lessons learned.
- Support updates to and expansion of internal Program Development collections, tools, templates, and other resources.
- Identify other opportunities to increase general Program Development knowledge and content sharing, create repositories, and collaborate with Development Division and operational divisions to meet needs and align efforts.
IV. Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in international relations, economics, business, or other related field
- At least 1 year of work experience working in a new business development team in a high performing international development organization, preferred
- Must possess strong editing/proofreading skills and abilities to ensure production of documents that are clear, concise, and grammatically correct; proposal experience a plus
- Passionate interest in helping the poor improve their livelihoods
- Strong focus on results
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Excellent PC skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; desktop publishing skills a plus
- Proven ability to anticipate demand, manage multiple tasks/projects, and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to speak Spanish, French, or other languages a plus
- Good sense of humor
V. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word formatted resume and cover letter with salary history to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications and authorized to work in the US will be considered. No phone calls please.