Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Regional Coffee Program Director and to Tanzania Country Director
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe has worked over the last four years under an initiative funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to work with 140,000 smallholders in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Ethiopia to improve their incomes by improving the quality of the coffee they produce, increasing production and linking them to markets. The program has received an additional 2 years’ funding to complete its work in Tanzania in 2012-2013.
III. Position Description:
The position is responsible for overall leadership of the program including fundraising, leading stakeholder management and supporting the leadership of the Regional Program. Specifically,
Overall Leadership of the program including fundraising
- Manage the coffee team in Tanzania in accordance with TechnoServe corporate policies including Finance and HR
- Manage Stakeholders Relationships in Coffee
- Ensure the Coffee program meets targets and is to plan as per the regional proposal to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Ensure spending is in line with budget
Lead Stakeholder Management
- Lead relationships with national level stakeholders such as Tanzania Coffee Board Director General and the Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI) Director
- Support Country Director in relationships with Ministry of Agriculture staff
- Support SBA’s in relationships with regional and District Government
Support Leadership of Regional Program
- Support Regional Director as relevant in executing on regional program issues
- Attend and support Regional Program Management meetings
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in agribusiness, economics, finance or related field; master’s degree preferred
- At least two years’ experience in agriculture value chain, preferably within coffee in Tanzania
- 2-5 years’ experience in managing stakeholders in a similar position
- 2-5 years’ in commercial role in Tanzania, preferably associated with coffee Industry
- Strong management skills demonstrated through previous line management roles
- Strong skills including leadership experience, experience working on teams, strong oral and written communications in English and workshop/facilitation skills
- Good understanding of rural development issues, including gender.
V. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.