Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Brazil Country Director
Location: Sao Paulo, Rio or a program focus area
Travel: Infrequent international travel, Domestic up to 50%
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
While TechnoServe has worked throughout the world for over four decades the organization has only recently registered in Brazil, with a significant scale-up of operations underway in 2013. The strategy of TechnoServe Brazil is to partner with local institutions and communities to bring global best practice in economic inclusion, in both rural and urban areas. Brazil represents a unique opportunity for TechnoServe to catalyze positive change at scale, especially considering the significant resources and networks of the private and public sectors.
To date, we have completed two successful pilot programs: 1) in the state of Bahia working to integrate land reform settlements (“assentammentos”) of smallholder farmers into a high value horticulture supply chain with a major agro-processor partner, and 2) providing business training support to women entrepreneur businesses as part of the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women initiative, in partnership with the Fundação Dom Cabral.
Currently, TechnoServe Brazil is implementing a smallholder farmer inclusion program with a major retail company partner across various states. We are also in advanced program design discussions with global private sector partners with whom we work in other geographies. During 2013, we plan to mobilize 1-2 programs that we expect to become larger, medium-term engagements. Our geographic focus is primarily in the north and northeast of Brazil.
III. Position Description:
The Program Manager Brazil will be the lead manager in the country, reporting to the Brazil Country Director, with primary responsibility for the mobilization and implementation of programs, and additional responsibility for operational processes and the development of new programs.
Program mobilization and implementation:
- Ensure program activities are implemented to plan with outputs and outcomes achieved;
- Undertake monitoring and evaluation in order to assess program impact rigorously as well as to inform a continuous learning agenda for program course correction and improved design;
- Support the Brazil Country Director in recruitment and management of staff and consultants.
Oversight of TechnoServe Brazil operations:
- Support the Country Director to manage key operational functions of TechnoServe Brazil including human resources, finance, contracting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Interface with TechnoServe internal operational divisions and departments as required: Latin America & Caribbean Division, TechnoServe Divisions in other geographies, Finance, Contracts, Human Resources, IT;
- Manage relationships with external service providers (eg. accounting, legal, IT).
Program development and strategy:
- Drive program development process for new opportunities, engaging with internal and external stakeholders as required;
- Source new opportunities for TechnoServe to create impact in Brazil in line with the TechnoServe Brazil Country Plan and the Corporate Strategic Plan;
- Support the development of strategic partnerships for TechnoServe Brazil.
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years of diverse experience in the private sector, preferably with significant experience in cross-sector work (eg. management consulting, private equity, strategy) with demonstrated top performance relative to peer group;
- Excellent analytical skills, including proficiency with statistics and scientific method;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Extensive experience leading sector analyses involving primary and secondary research;
- Extensive experience in client management and broader stakeholder management situations;
- Self-starter, ability to work with substantial autonomy with minimal supervision;
- Experience managing teams of diverse skills sets across Brazil;
- Deep networks in private and nonprofit sectors in Brazil;
- Master’s Degree in business or closely related field;
- Willingness to travel domestically up to 50% of the time, with infrequent international;
- Team management skills;
- Passion for economic and social inclusion, as well as experience with rural and urban excluded communities;
- Valid working rights in Brazil;
- Native or near native fluency in Portuguese;
- Business fluency in English, Spanish fluency preferred;
- Experience with agribusiness and rural development preferred
V. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a 1) Word formatted resume, 2) a cover letter, 3) salary history, and 4) three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line as TECHNOSERVE BRAZIL PROGRAM MANAGER. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MAY 31, 2013.